The Château is located in the lovely valley of the river Lot, surrounded by hills with lush green forests. The region is the former hunting ground of the famous English King Richard the Lionheart. The king often returned to this area because his mother was a princess of Aquitaine and he therefore had strong family ties to the place.
The Château has as its centrepiece a beautiful tower that was built in the 13th century. This kind of tower is known as a "Pigeonnier", in english a dovecote, which were used for the breeding of doves.
For Centuries the Estate was owned by the de Boutier Family and in the 18th century it was bought by Monsieur de Monlezun, who fled during the french Revolution. Later the Estate was sold as national property to his representative Monsieur Laguillelmie.
The manor house was built in 1801. For centuries, it has been surrounded by vineyards and part of the vin noir or cot noir culture. In the 1980s, new vines were planted on almost 9 hectares especially for the Château la Gineste estate.
At the start of the new millenium, the vineyard was bought by the French family Dega and subsequently restructured towards a cultivation method that promotes biodiversity and promotes organic farming. In 2013, Château la Gineste obtained the ECOCERT certification.
2023, two friends decided to continue the long history of La Gineste. Driven by their passion for wine and dedication to quality, their aim is to continue the heritage and to develop new wines.